Bubble Tea: the drink Taiwanese with tapioca pearls
The hot days are almost here, and Bubble Tea is an excellent healthy drink for cooling. Created in 1980 in Taiwan, Bubble Tea is a refreshing tea drink that arrived in Portugal around five years ago. The famous Bubble Tea became popular in 2022 with the arrival of the international Bubble Tea brand Gong cha. This brand has more than 600 combinations of Bubble Teas.
Also known as “pearl's tea”, “boba tea”, “pearl milk tea”, “tapioca milk tea” or QQ (onomatopoeic for the Taiwanese word for ‘chew-chew’), Bubble Tea is indeed a memorable drink. This positive connection is furthered by personalizing each Bubble Tea well to each customer's taste.
Learn more about Bubble Tea, a drink with tapioca pearls from Taiwan. Also, discover how to prepare two Bubble Tea recipes with Butterfly Pea flowers and Matcha. Be happy!
What is Bubble Tea?
Bubble Tea is a blend of tea, fruit juice, milk, or yoghurt, well known for its tapioca pearls. The delicious bubbles we all love to pop! However, the original Bubble Tea contained only black or green tea with ice and sugar syrup. As well as being healthy, it allows you to create various combinations for people with gluten intolerance, vegans, and vegetarians.
How to make Bubble Tea: Recipes
Bubble Tea with Butterfly Pea and Coconut Milk
Ingredients (for one person):
- 60 ml canned coconut milk;
- 250 ml boiled water;
- 30 gr of Tapioca Pearls (essential for creating a good Bubble Tea);
- 1 tbsp of Clitoria ternatea flowers (Butterfly pea flowers);
- 350 ml water;
- Ice cubes to taste;
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar;
- 1 Glass (450 to 600 ml);
- 1 Bubble Tea inox straw.
How to prepare:
- Step 1 – Blue Tea Preparation: Pour 250 ml of boiled water and add one tablespoon of Butterfly Pea flowers into a small pot. Cover with the lid and leave to infuse for 5 minutes. Finally, strain and leave to cool naturally. You can later put it in the fridge;
- 2nd Step – Cooking the Tapioca Pearls: Take a pot with 350 ml of cold water. Then bring it to a boil with a tablespoon of brown sugar. When it reaches boiling, place the tapioca pearls. Check the recommended cooking time on the packaging of the tapioca pearls. After cooking, remove from heat and leave to rest for 4 to 5 minutes;
- Step 3 – Cooling the Bubbles: Remove the water from the pan where the bubbles were left to rest and add cold water to cover them. Leave it for 15 to 20 seconds and remove the water;
- 4th Step: Place the tapioca pearls, the coconut milk and the iced blue tea in a tall glass. You can add a little maple syrup. Finally, mix well and finish with a few ice cubes. Don't forget to add the Inox straw :)
Bubble Tea with Matcha and Almond Milk
Ingredients (for two people):
- 1 Tablespoon of Matcha Green Tea;
- Half a cup of dried Tapioca Pearls;
- 1 L of water;
- 60 ml of boiled water;
- Ice cubes to taste;
- 500 ml Almond Milk;
- 1 to 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey;
- 2 Glasses (450 ml to 600 ml);
- 2 Bubble Tea Inox straws.
How to prepare:
- Step 1 – Preparation of Matcha Tea: Take a bowl or Chawan, and put one tablespoon of Matcha and the hot water. Then, with the help of the Matcha Whisk (Chasen), whisk this blend and set aside until completely cooled;
- Step 2 – Cooking the Tapioca Balls: Take a pan and cover it with 1 L of cold water. Then bring it to a boil. When it reaches boiling, place the tapioca balls. Check the recommended cooking time on the packaging of the tapioca balls. After cooking, remove from heat, add your desired sweetener and let stand for 4 to 5 minutes;
- 3rd Step: Take 2 tall glasses and divide the Tapioca pearls that you left to rest in both. Then add some ice cubes, the almond milk (250 ml for each glass) and the Matcha Tea. Stir well before serving. Finish with the stainless steel straw.
And your Bubble Tea is ready!
Try our Bubble Tea Recipes and tell us which one is your favourite. See you next time!
Chás do Mundo
"A Somantis, Unip. Lda é uma empresa fundada em 2005 e que atua no ramo alimentar, com especial incidência na importação e exportação de chás, plantas medicinais, acessórios, especiarias e produtos biológicos diversos. A nossa empresa faz-se representar pela marca "Chás do Mundo ®" que apresenta uma vasta gama de chás de elevada qualidade, onde conta com mais de 2000 variedades disponíveis, entre chás ortodoxos ou blends de diversas tipologias como o chá verde, chá branco, chá preto, chá vermelho, chá oolong, rooibos, plantas medicinais, tisanas, misturas de frutas, chás em saquetas simples, biológicos e de comércio justo."