Rooibos: the South Africa's theine-free red tea
South Africa is the sacred place for Rooibos cultivation, with over 15 million tonnes in one year. This peculiar shrub is used in infusion since 1700 A.D. Although it is known as “Rooibos Tea”, the correct expression is “Rooibos Infusion”. This is because Rooibos comes from a shrub called “Aspalathus linearis” and not from the shrub “Camellia sinensis”.
Rooibos Infusion is a sweet, theine-free infusion, rich in vitamin C and iron. This elixir of youth is usually drunk hot or cold, with water or milk and without added sugar.
Find out more about Rooibos, the South Africa's theine-free red tea! Be happy.
What is Rooibos Tea
Rooibos is a shrub unique to South Africa. Also known as Red Tea because of its colour, it should not be confused with Pu Erh Tea (Camellia sinensis). Rooibos Tea is theine-free that can be consumed by everyone. It is an infusion that does not bitter if left to brew for too long. Our Organic Rooibos is a powerful detox ingredient for those who want to lose weight. Post-workout, Rooibos Tea is an excellent ally in the recovery from the damage caused by injuries. Besides, it helps to hydrate and reinforce its defences.
The species "Aspalathus linearis" is cultivated by 400 local growers, exclusively in the beautiful South African Cederberg Mountains. The term "linearis" is because the leaves of Rooibos grow in a long, pointed shape. In this country, Rooibos Tea is drunk with lemon, honey, and sugar. The same infusion is reused and re-heat during the first 48 hours.
Most of the exportation is to the United States of America and Germany. However, it is possible to find Rooibos in more than 140 countries.
Differences between Green Rooibos and Rooibos
Green Rooibos is a new and very rare drink compared to traditional Rooibos. Today, drinking Rooibos Infusion is not only related to medicinal purposes but also its sweet taste. Although Rooibos and Green Rooibos share similar health benefits, their chemical composition is slightly different from each other resulting from the oxidation process. Green Rooibos is dried soon after harvest to preserve its colour and flavour.
Green Rooibos (Aspalathus linearis) comes exclusively from South Africa, while Green Tea is grown in more than 70 countries in the world. Like Green Tea, Green Rooibos undergoes a heating process that stops oxidation, darkening the tea and changing its chemical structure. Green Tea, like Green Rooibos, contain high levels of antioxidants, although they differ. Unlike Green Tea, Green Rooibos is caffeine free, making it a safe drink before bedtime or even for some pregnant and breastfeeding women.
Rooibos is one of the rare teas that can be consumed by babies and children.
Rooibos Tea: what it is good for
Rooibos Tea is recommended for:
- Strengthening the immune system – ideal for colds and flu. It can also combat anaemia and relieve the intensity of allergy symptoms;
- Irritation in the throat;
- Relief of muscle strains (muscle relaxation);
- Detoxification of the body – you can use it as a detox tea to lose weight;
- Improvement of digestion;
- Relief of menstrual cramps;
- Regulation of cholesterol and blood pressure;
- Energy balance – promotes the well-being of the nervous system.
Rooibos: discover our suggestions
- Rooibos African Sunset with Rooibos (Aspalathus linearis), pieces of dates (dates, rice flour), pieces of cinnamon, pieces of caramel, sugar stars with natural cinnamon aromas;
- Rooibos Wild Berries with 88% Rooibos, elderberries, 2% red currants, safflower petals, red flower petals, red rose buds, black currants and natural aromas of red berries;
- Rooibos Caramel Delight with Rooibos (Aspalathus linearis), caramel pieces, vanilla pieces and natural flavours of caramel;
- Rooibos Gourmet Almond Cinnamon with Rooibos (Aspalathus linearis), apple pieces, hibiscus, rosehip, almond pieces, cinnamon, and natural lemon flavours;
- Rooibos Orange & Cinnamon with 83% Rooibos (Aspalathus linearis), 6% orange peels, cloves, cinnamon pieces and natural orange and cinnamon flavours;
- Rooibos Orange and Lemon with Rooibos (Aspalathus linearis), orange peels, lemongrass and natural orange and lemon flavourings;
- Rooibos Masala Chai with Rooibos (Aspalathus linearis), cinnamon pieces, ginger, cloves, pink pepper and cardamom;
- Rooibos Mountain of Paradise with 91% Rooibos (Aspalathus linearis), carrot pieces, sunflower petals, mallow flowers and natural strawberry and pineapple flavours;
- Organic Rooibos Tea with 100% natural Rooibos (Aspalathus linearis), pure and unflavoured from certified organic production;
- Rooibos Relax Anti-Stress with 80% Rooibos (Aspalathus linearis), cinnamon pieces, ginger pieces, pineapple pieces, liquorice, orange peel, hibiscus, clove, mulberry leaf, chamomile, hop flowers, fennel, red pepper and cardamom;
- Rooibos Sweet Vanilla with Rooibos (Aspalathus linearis), bourbon vanilla pieces and natural vanilla flavours;
- Green Rooibos Natural with 100% natural Green Rooibos (Aspalathus linearis) from organic production.
Rooibos Tea in sachets / bags
- Yogi Tea Christmas Organic – 17 Bags with rooibos, cinnamon, liquorice, coriander, honeybush, orange peel, cloves, black pepper, anise, dried lemon juice, star anise, cardamom, roasted chicory, lime, orange oil, cinnamon oil;
- Yogi Tea Rooibos “African Spice” Organic – 17 Sachets with rooibos, cinnamon, ginger, carob, roasted chicory, cardamom, cloves, black pepper, cinnamon oil, ginger oil, cardamom oil, vanilla extract;
- Creano Rooibos Mango Organic Tea – 20 Sachets with rooibos (99.65%) and mango natural flavours;
- Creano Rooibos Gentle Mood Organic Tea – 20 Sachets with rooibos (33%), lemon balm (25%), fennel (15%), lemongrass (8%), licorice root (7%), linden blossoms (5%), cinnamon (5%), stevia leaves and passionflower;
- Yogi Tea Echinacea Organic – 17 Bags with cinnamon, echinacea, ginger, fennel, rooibos, roasted chicory, carob, cardamom, basil, burdock root, black pepper, turmeric root, astragalus, vanilla beans;
- Yogi Tea Black Chai Organic – 17 Sachets with black tea, ginger, cinnamon, anise, rooibos, toasted chicory, black pepper, cloves, cinnamon oil, ginger oil;
- Yogi Tea Inner Harmony Organic – 17 Sachets with lemon balm, rooibos, liquorice, cinnamon, cocoa shells, basil, peppermint, chamomile flowers, rosemary, black pepper, fennel, lavender flowers.
Try any of our Rooibos Tea suggestions and until the next article!
Chás do Mundo
"A Somantis, Unip. Lda é uma empresa fundada em 2005 e que atua no ramo alimentar, com especial incidência na importação e exportação de chás, plantas medicinais, acessórios, especiarias e produtos biológicos diversos. A nossa empresa faz-se representar pela marca "Chás do Mundo ®" que apresenta uma vasta gama de chás de elevada qualidade, onde conta com mais de 2000 variedades disponíveis, entre chás ortodoxos ou blends de diversas tipologias como o chá verde, chá branco, chá preto, chá vermelho, chá oolong, rooibos, plantas medicinais, tisanas, misturas de frutas, chás em saquetas simples, biológicos e de comércio justo."